Friday, December 23, 2011
Thursday, December 1, 2011
The holidays are wonderful. Family, friends, presents, get-togethers. But with all that fun comes stress. I always stress more about the food I need to take than the actual traveling out of state to see family. What am I going to take to the Christmas party/ Thanksgiving dinner/ family get-together? My husband actually gets pissed at me because I stress so much.
This can be made the day before you leave, though, and travels perfectly.
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 1 cup almonds
- 2T Maple Syrup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, plus an extra sprinkle
- 1t. Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/2 t. Paprika
- salt and pepper
- 6 strips uncooked bacon (I used 3 strips of extra thick bacon)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 t. Paprika
- salt and pepper
Stir all of the ingredients in the nut mixture until everything is coated. Set aside.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Dice the bacon into small cubes. Mix all of the bacon ingredients in a bowl, then spread onto a non-stick cookie sheet. Cook 8-10 minutes, until the sugar is bubbling. Remove from oven and add the nut mixture, stirring thoroughly. Place back in the oven for 15 minutes, stirring halfway through. Serve warm or allow to cool, then break the nuts apart.
I served it the next day. After it cooled, I just threw it into a plastic container and packed it away. Super easy, and the men will absolutely love it. I made this for Thanksgiving, and had people calling me for the recipe as we left.
Sunday, November 20, 2011
I worry that people will be so excited to have the opportunity to have Penguin put their stamp on their self-pubbed book, and will rush into something they will regret years down the road.
Wednesday, October 19, 2011
I remember Terry Thompson as being an ass. He had too many animals to keep track of, and they were always getting out and causing trouble. He had cattle on another property (which I thought he used to feed his exotics) but he was always too busy to build fence to keep them in properly. So it was left to the S.O. to block traffic and take property damage reports when the cattle trampled lawns. I was once sent on a call to look for his bear, which had somehow gotten loose. The bear was handleable, but it still gave you chills when you got near it. Terry walked it home like you would a dog.
Wednesday, October 12, 2011
1) Dara England~~ I have to give props to Dara, because she did the covers for the two Decadent books I have. I absolutely love them both, and I have the utmost respect for Dara as an artist. Unfortunately, Dara's so freaking awesome that she's not accepting new clients. BUT, she has a nice page of pre-made covers for sale.
2) RomanceNovelCovers.com ~~ Jimmy Thomas. That should be all I have to say, but since some people are just getting in to the business, I will explain. Jimmy Thomas is a romance novel cover GOD. Tall, Dark and Handsome, mouth-watering bod. He has created his own company with stock images as well as pre-made covers. You may have to register, but it's easy, and well worth the access.
3) Razzle Dazzle Designs~~ They have beautiful pre-made covers and pages of stock photos.
4) Fantasia Frog Designs~~ I just love the name of this site. No, really, they're doing covers for Decadent Publishing, and they're pretty freaking awesome. Again, pre-made covers and stock photos.
5) Hot Damn Designs~~ Didn't see very many pre-made covers, but I know they do a lot of design work.
6) Purple Ink Graphics~~ They have some beautiful designs on their website. I had to make them purple.
7) Book Graphics~~ Thay have oodles of pre-made covers. A little more basic perhaps.
8) Delle Jacobs~~ Actually created a lot of the pre-made covers on the Jimmy Thomas site. She looks to be really good at Historicals.
9) Tibbs Design~~ Has a lot of good solid authors as clients.
10) Spittyfish Designs~~ You kind of have to navigate around through the categories to find all of the covers, but they look really good.
Hope this helps you out. If you know of others, maybe leave them in the comment section. Also, too, a word of caution. There are a lot of Joe Schmo's popping up thinking they can design book covers. Investigate the company as thoroughly as possible before sending money.
Thanks for stopping!
Monday, October 10, 2011
Saturday, October 1, 2011
I know. I've pretty much said that before. I still like my website, but I needed something to keep me engaged. I hope you like this.
Just to clarify too, this won't be just for writing things. There's too much that goes on in my life that isn't writing related that I'd like to talk about. Kids, animals, Kentucky, you name it I may blog about it. So, bear with me and I look forward to your feedback.